Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/30/24 at 13:52:27
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
creating credit memo from deposit (Read 493 times)
jamfg
Browser

creating credit memo from deposit
06/09/20 at 12:17:01

I have a customer who HAS to be issued a credit memo for an over-payment, because they are a HUGE company they want to be able to track any over payments directly to the particular invoice/sales order that was over paid and that coincides with their purchaser order number.  

Has anyone been successful with creating a credit memo from an overypayment or depsoit?  Help, because this customer will NOT ACCEPT a refund.  Any input would be appreciated.

IP Logged
AllanMac
Browser

Re: creating credit memo from deposit
Reply #1 - 06/09/20 at 19:56:48

Wow, can you send some of those customers our way?  Not accepting a refund - I don't get it - your customer sent you some money they didn't mean to, but they don't want it back!

And, are you sure you want to issue a credit note?  You have a credit in your debtor account - to offset that wouldn't you need to issue an invoice, not a credit note.  A credit note will create a second credit on the account.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 06/10/20 at 13:30:56

I believe the credit is going to stay on the account to pay a future invoice but they need to send a document to the customer confirming the credit memo.  Only thing I can think of is to enter a credit in AR-B, save and send a copy of the credit memo to the customer, then reverse it.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
jamfg
Browser

Reply #3 - 06/10/20 at 14:19:10

To this company, $40,000.00 over pay is just a nuisance.  They track every single transaction by purchase order number, and sending a refund check would only confuse them and it's not allowed.  Sounds crazy but they pay a $200 fee 201 times by mistake, they pay with a discount but take the entire amount as a credit.  The over payment is in our system but because it isn't linked to a purchase order or invoice, when the buyer called our customer service rep to inquire about the transactions on the purchase order, none of the over payment amounts were linked to the original invoice in EVO. Now they owe us about $1600.00 on a $200.00 charge, but I have to send them a spreadsheet to show why, they are also from another country so language barriers are making it harder.  

Lynn, I could issue a note and reverse, that is an idea.  But when we do a statement the credit memo number won't show and believe it nor not, this company would end up taking double credit.  I am very grateful for their business, but they are very rigid in their dealings.

IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #4 - 06/26/20 at 08:01:38

I'm not sure if it would work in this case but...

For when we have to put a deposit on a purchase order, we have a special Item called PREPAYMENT. It gets entered once as a positive amount and once as a negative. That allows us to receive the positive one and enter an "invoice" to pay the deposit. Then when we receive the goods we receive the negative amount along with the actual items on the PO and enter the invoice. If the deposit was payment in full the invoice amount is 0. If it was partial you can then pay the balance.

I realize you are talking about the opposite direction but maybe with some creative thinking you could do something similar on the sales side.

BTW, we have a similar customer. The only reason they know they overpaid is because we had to tell them. Multiple times. It started as double paying an invoice because they switched accounting systems and one invoice got entered in both. When they saw the credit on their statement they thought they owed us more money and paid the credit amount. We currently have almost $50k on deposit from them. For over a year...

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print