Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/08/24 at 14:21:45
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IN-B System crashing when saving an item (Read 1504 times)
TrevorA
Browser

Consultant

IN-B System crashing when saving an item
07/07/20 at 16:11:45

When going into IN-B Enter Inventory the system is crashing when saving an item whether it is changed or not. Our customer is on the latest version but has been experiencing this problem with previous versions as.   I am guessing it has something to do with their data but am not sure how to troubleshoot the error.

The error justs states that "An error has occurred in the application."

Trevor Abbott
Advanced ERP Limited NZ
V2020.2

Trevor Abbott
Advanced ERP Consultants Limited
Email TrevorA TrevorA   IP Logged
prophet

Re: IN-B System crashing when saving an item
Reply #1 - 07/07/20 at 17:23:00

I would start by first looking in the DBAMFG or EVO folder, look in your company folders and see if you have any files that have hit the 2 gig mark and have the following symbol on them ~. If you do then you have the 2 gig limit set on your Pervasive settings and the system has split the file in two. In which case you will have to merge them. The Pervasive Rebuild utility can do that. If the files are ok then run Fix Binary Zeroes (UT-K-I) located under the System Mgr on the following files. BKICMSTR,MTICMSTR,BKICLOC. Then just for maintenance purposes re-index those same files using UT-C. Best to have users out of the system when doing this. I would also use Maintain Database after to look at those files just to glance over the files to make sure they are ok.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 07/07/20 at 18:23:59

You actually need to look for a ^01 extension, not a ~

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TrevorA
Browser

Consultant

Reply #3 - 07/12/20 at 16:27:56

Thanks for the response: -

On investigation I have the following results on the tables you mention: -

BKICMSTR - 84,520 KB
MTICMSTR - 157,824 KB
BKICLOC - 37,920 KB

There are some old files that do look suspicious as follows, are these what you are referring to as split files?

ISBINLOC.001 - 10/08/2006 - 105KB
ISBNMSTR.001 - 07/07/2006 - 48KB
ISBINLOC.002 - 15/01/2015 - 128KB
ISBNMSTR.002 - 18/08/2006 - 66KB
ISBINLOC.003 - 15/01/2015 - 128KB
ISBNMSTR.003 - 18/08/2006 - 66KB
ISBINLOC.004 - 15/01/2015 - 22,364KB
ISBNMSTR.004 - 15/01/2015 - 69KB
ISBINLOC.005 - 16/01/2015 - 42,608KB
ISBNMSTR.005 -  16/01/2015 - 87KB

These appear to be the only files similar to what you describe but are very old, could they still be causing the problem we're experiencing?

Trevor Abbott
prophet

Reply #4 - 07/13/20 at 10:21:29

Those File sizes seem to fine. Let me ask you this does this problem you describe happen on all workstations or just one? Did you run the Binary Zeroes fix utility and did you re-index those files? Do you get an error if so a screenshot would be nice, if you have the option to view the error and or print or save it do so. Also a screen shot of the IN-B program you are using might prove helpful.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #5 - 07/14/20 at 16:00:20

What about ISMICADT and ISICADT?  Those are the likely culprits for the segmenting to ~01 files.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TrevorA
Browser

Consultant

Reply #6 - 07/14/20 at 16:12:56

I have completed the Fix Binary Zeroes and have re-indexed the Inventory files BKICMSTR, MTICMSTR and BKICLOC, the evoreindex file showed that there were a different number of transactions in the BKICMSTR and MTICMSTR.   I assumed that there were records in one and not the other, though both appeared to match.   The difference related to duplicates and in one instance a triplicate copy of one item in both BKICMSTR and MTICMSTR.   I have now cleared there extra entries though it hasn't made any difference on the inventory crashing.  This may have been contributing to other inventory related problems they have been experiencing.

I have compiled screenshots and error reports in an excel spreadsheet so will email a copy for your information.   Lastly there two files in excess of 2GB as Lynn suggests, as follows: -

ISMICADT - 2,885,156 KB
ISICADT - 2,097,144 KB

Though I can't see any evidence of the segmenting you mention.

Trevor Abbott
prophet

Reply #7 - 07/14/20 at 18:12:38

I have a question, does this happen to all the users or just the one? Are the using the EVO view or the Classic view in IN-B? Whats the ISTS Enhancement date for IN-B? Also if you could go into the ISTS\DFM folder on that workstation in question and see what the modify dates are on the T7INB.RWN & T7INB.DFM?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #8 - 07/15/20 at 16:46:21

Do you have ISMICADT.^01 in the folder? If you have anything with ^01 extension, that is the culprit.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
TrevorA
Browser

Consultant

Reply #9 - 07/20/20 at 13:03:04

There are no files with .^01 extension in the directory.

All users are affected, there are a mix of users using both EVO and the Classic view in IN-B,    

Modify dates for T7INB.RWN - 09/07/2020 07:03
Modify dates for T7INB.DFM - 09/07/2020 07:03

Where do I find the ISTS Enhancement date for IN-B?

Trevor Abbott
prophet

Reply #10 - 07/20/20 at 13:10:10

When you open IN-B the ISTS Enhancement is at the top of the program.
Does the error occur immediately after the click on the Save button? If they try and do this directly on the server does the same error come up?

IP Logged
TrevorA
Browser

Consultant

Reply #11 - 07/21/20 at 19:38:04

IN-B Enter Inventory - ISTS Enhancement 06/24/20

When saving the item a message box pops up asking if you wish to save the item.   The user answers yes and the error appears immediately irrespective of whether you are on a client or on the server.   The error is the same.

Trevor Abbott
TrevorA
Browser

Consultant

Reply #12 - 07/23/20 at 12:04:30

Ok - So I looked at the ISMICADT and the ISICADT files.   Opened one in Maintain database and discovered a large number of blank transactions at the beginning of the file.   Tried to run Fix Binary zeroes, though it was taking so long.   It was after running this that the ISICADT - (first one i started on) was reduced in size in the file directory and now also had another copy with - wait for it - a ^.01 extension.  I then tried to re-index the file with limited success and then tried the Pervasive rebuild utility, which the log file said was successful though I couldn't get to where it would finish.   I did do this on my test system so far.   As these two files are my culprits I will focus on getting these sorted.   I also tried to purge records though again was taking so long - to be expected with so many records and a file of that size.

I am wondering how useful are these files and can I shortcut and copy blank copies from the Default company?   From what I can see they don't provide a lot of detail as to what the transactions were?

Trevor Abbott
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #13 - 07/23/20 at 17:22:39

If you do not care about who changed part numbers when, use TAS-E and initialize both ISICADT and ISMICADT for the company.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #14 - 10/15/20 at 06:17:14

Quote from TrevorA on 07/23/20 at 12:04:30:
.... I then tried to re-index the file with limited success and then tried the Pervasive rebuild utility, which the log file said was successful though I couldn't get to where it would finish. ...

I am trying to understand the difference between UT-C  reindex and the Pervasive Rebuild Utility.

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print