Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/07/24 at 16:40:56
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why do you enter a vendor Purchase Order? (Read 874 times)
Laura Oliver

Why do you enter a vendor Purchase Order?
09/16/20 at 06:09:14

Does your company enter a Purchase Order for every purchase?
Do you enter a PO for items that are paid with credit cards?  
Should we enter a PO on everything we buy?
If we buy a million dollar machine (hahaha) should it go on a PO?
If we buy stamps should they be entered on a PO?
If I buy a screw driver from the Home store should it go on a Po?
If we order toilet paper should it go on a PO?

We do not enter a PO for re-occurring utilities but we do enter a PO for 90% of  things we buy.  If I send a guy to the home store to buy lumber for a PO should it go on a PO or just a voucher?
This discussion arises because one of our guys has been wondering if the stuff we buy on credit card should really be on a purchase Order.   If I buy a $500 saw from Amazon should it go on a PO  

I like the trail  that is created when we enter an item on a PO and pay it thru AP-C.

I tried to google this question but could not find an answer.  Plus I am interested on how folks handle this on DBA/EVO?

Thanks
Laura  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Re: Why do you enter a vendor Purchase Order?
Reply #1 - 09/16/20 at 07:36:12

I just read an article that said" Never ORDER anything without a Purchase Order"    So is this saying that if i order a $10 box of ink pens from Office Max I need to enter a PO but if I run into Walmart and buy a $10 box of pens then i dont need a PO

Very few of our vendors require a Purchase Order.   I say this to clarify that we don't use  PO-A so that our vendors have paper work or as a contract.   I would say the number one benefit of us using purchase orders is to keep up with what we ordered.  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #2 - 09/16/20 at 11:41:02

The fact that it is paid for by credit card has nothing to do with whether a PO is needed or not.  Using POs for non-inventory supplies is simply a matter of how much traceability you want.  

To pay by credit card (which is becoming more and more common) create a liability account at AM-C called "Credit Card Payable" (if you do not already have one) and then use AD-B and make it a "Checking Account".  Use that bank to pay for things ordered on PO and  paid by credit card which documents the payment to the vendor and the obligation to pay the credit card.  In Evo you can use GL-L to enter all your other credit transactions (there is an import option) and map them to the appropriate GL account and optionally assign a vendor.  Once the detail has been entered here, the actual credit card bill is a one line voucher to the liability account at which point you can use GL-I and reconcile the credit card "bank" to 0 to verify everything has been accounted for.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #3 - 09/17/20 at 07:29:34

Thanks Lynn,
I have handled our credit card purchases a little differently and it seems to have worked.  Ill have to think about what you said.

Here is what we have done for 20 years.
We enter every credit card purchase via ap-b or ap-c.   We pick and pay those purchases via a faux checking account I created called VISA.
At the end of every month I use our real main account and write a check to the faux visa checking account for amount on the Visa statement to cover the automatic transfer from the credit card company.

Back to the original topic: I agree with you that Purchase Orders are all about traceability.  I liked the more concise way you put it.
Thanks
Laura  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #4 - 11/10/20 at 14:57:30

I think the way Lynn suggested to enter credit cards purchases is basically the same way we have done it for a long time.  I set up a GL account, I created a corresponding bank account and then we pay invoices and just choose that checking account (which is really a credit card). But i reconciled in GL-J not GL-L.    I am trying to figure our what advantage telling EVO that is a CC rather than CK offers?  

A lot of our vendors allow us to pay with credit card and still give us net 30 days.  When paying by VISA we actually "print checks" on plain paper and email them to our vendors that accept credit cards.   The "checK" is plain white paper with the vendors name, invoice number, amount  visa number , exp date etc.   I just modified the default check RTM to have this information on it.  

If we tell evo it is a checking account we can use "check numbers" which makes it  easy to reconcile, trace and void.  I would assume if we told EVO it was a CC then we wouldn't get check numbers.
If we tell evo it is a checking account we still use GL-J to reconcile the credit card account and we can trace using "check numbers". Im not sure if there is any advantage in GL-L.... maybe there is.

Just thinking....
Laura  

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #5 - 11/10/20 at 15:07:16

You still need a reference number if you define it as a CC.  One advantage of GL-L is the ability to import the statement if you can download from your credit card company.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #6 - 02/07/21 at 15:12:06

Also GL-L allows entry of credit card transactions such as travel and meals that are not posted to an AP vendor.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print