Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/27/24 at 13:01:17
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Program Count Restart Not Always Restarting Evo (Read 1284 times)
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Program Count Restart Not Always Restarting Evo
10/26/21 at 10:56:47

What is the purpose of the new Program Count we see in Evo getting to 20 and automatically restarting Evo?

I see there is an entry for the Program Count in the Evosettings.ini file.

In Evo the Program count gets to 20 and it restarts Evo on the user's system.  Users say Evo disappears and then reappears (flashes off/disappears and then reappears)  But sometimes the user's Evo session does not come back automatically.

When they manually relaunch Evo after this happens it does not ask them for their credentials (which they pointed out to me).  If they then close out of Evo and go back in they are asked for their credentials as is normally done at Evo login.

So..... their current session is being cached but not always brought back.

I also see empty sessions in Pervasive Monitor for the user when that happens, both in the Microkernel and the SQL sessions (the SQL session will say Pervasive JDBC2.0 Driver).

Is there any way to stop this program restart from occurring, other than upping the count so something like 1000000   Wink, or can I just REM out the line in the ini file?
I have some users, especially in Finance, who hit this 20 count pretty quickly.

Please advise.  Thank you!

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
prophet

Re: Program Count Restart Not Always Restarting Ev
Reply #1 - 10/26/21 at 13:19:46

I believe the purpose of the "Auto Re-Start EVO after running X programs" setting was for the following. To try to reduce access violations and stack dumps caused by memory leaks the program will automatically close and reopen Evo after a specified number of programs have been run (default is 20) when it is determined that no other programs are open. Settings – US-A is where you can specify the number of programs to run prior to the restart.   It will not prompt for login and password on the restart and if a user really doesn’t want to have it run they can set the number of programs to 0 to disable it.

IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Re: Program Count Restart Not Always Restarting Ev
Reply #2 - 10/26/21 at 13:51:54

Hi Hector

It's interesting the purpose of it...one of the most affected users gets stack errors regularly and some access violation errors, so this is likely something that I'd probably want to leave on her system in particular.  Wink

Good to know, I can make better decisions about it running on various systems.  

Thank you!!!

Kind regards,

Val

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print