Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 04:52:27
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NEED feedback please!! (Read 3260 times)
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

NEED feedback please!!
02/25/03 at 14:52:21

IS Techsupport and Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd. are looking at the possibility of creating a new module for DBA.  This module would be programmed in TAS 6.1 but would still interface completely and seamlessly with the exisiting programs in the current TAS 5 version.

This module would be a Shipping/Inventory Transfer module.  It would include the following functionalities (as well as more):

-The ability to historically track and maintain quantities shipped/backordered/cancelled by Packing Slip #.

-Show quantities as shipped without having to print/post an invoice.

-Maintain tables of shipment methods, carriers and default requirements for each.

-Maintain running history of waybill #'s for each shipment along with weight, # of pallets an/or pieces, and such.

-Separate ability to save and then post shipment info.

-Ability to create, track, and maintain location transfer documentation.

-Add new button in SO entry for SO Line Notes (similar to SO notes) that would print with each associated line item number and allow MUCH larger note capability.

-Add new button in SO entry for SO Packing Slip Line Notes, similar to above, but would only print on the packing slip.

-Add new button in SO entry for SO Packing Slip Notes (same as SO notes) which would print only on the packing slip and only after all the items.

-Add ability to generate Packing Slips for PO items being sent to vendors for service.  This would then tie back to PO receiving.

-Tie-in to Lot and Serial information so that if an item is marked for Lot and/or serial control, would allow entry to a "tag screen" selection for which Lot/serial items to include on a particular shipment record (Packing Slip).

-If producing a Transfer Slip, would automatically credit the location being transferred FROM and debit the transfer TO location (Inventory quantities and costing).

_and a number of other capabilities......

What we need to know is:

Who would be interested in this?
        What would be an appropriate price for this
        (understanding that this is a BIG undertaking that
        REALLY helps tie together some information and
        functionality in DBA)?

PLEASE respond here, or to Lynn or to myself.

My email is ljrogers@telusplanet.net

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: NEED feedback please!!
Reply #1 - 02/27/03 at 12:01:22

Is anyone going to reply on this?????

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

Reply #2 - 02/27/03 at 15:49:55

Well, I don't feel terribly qualified to answer, but I'll give it a shot.  We have been working on a transition to DBA and next month we will not be running dual systems for Sales Invoicing and A/R.

I am not absolutely sure I follow everything you are saying.  It seems some of the items are already available in DBA. Quantities shipped for example-although not available by packing Slip # are available by item # and invoice # in Inventory.  That seems to be enough for me at this point in time.

I put the weight, # of pallets etc on the packing list/invoice already.  

Line Notes would be an advantage-some notes I need to make apply to one line and not to another so SO Notes is useable but doesn't quite fill the bill.

I only use one location so transfers wouldn't help me at this time

My two biggest issues with the current DBA (2002.4) are:

1) I cannot easily tie in my Lot #'s to a specific invoice or shipment.  It is kind of convoluted and isn't on reports that I need.  Our Steel purchases are controlled by Lot #(I use the material heat #).  When applied to a Work Order, the raw material lot does not showup on  any of the Job Cost reports.   All of our final parts have a heat code put on them.  When entering finished production I specify the heat code as the lot #, but it doesn't show up on the invoice.  There just doesn't seem to be a good way to tie them all together from the  raw material receipt onward.

2)  When we ship & invoice, we don't necessarily post right away (because parts aren't yet put into inventory through finished production).  The only report that has been useful to my production manager for setting the schedules of shipments is one of the user defined reports in SO, and they always contain the "Invoiced, not posted items" and we have to go through and mark them off the list.

A PO packing list would be great.  We use the PO right now as the packing slip.  But wouldn't that be in the PO module or the Work Order module?  

So the big question:  Would we be willing to pay for it?  I don't know.  We do watch our pennies very closely and bought DBA based partially on the pricing.  We would be very careful about continually adding on costs.  Chances are, unless it was very inexpensive, I would maintain what I have to maintain manually or through another method.

What should the price be?  I do not know.  It's probably worth more than I'm willing to pay.

Sorry, if  you were looking for a short yes or no.

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
Karen Mason

Ain't life grand!?!

Reply #3 - 02/27/03 at 15:51:25

P.S.

How do any add-ons get maintained over time, especially with updated programs/service packs from DBA?

Karen Mason, Vice President
Bula Forge & Machine, Inc.
1-60# forgings, machining, & assembly
Cleveland, OH
Tel:216-252-7600 Fax:216-252-7601 www.bulaforge.com
EVO-ERP 09/16/09 SP2
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/27/03 at 15:59:39

Depends who you get them from.  Anything from IS Tech Support will be carefully coordinated with future DBA TAS updates.

IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/27/03 at 17:36:22

Does this mean that we would not have to re-install add-ons every time that we upgrade DBA? I am now on version 2002.1 w/ Ben's payroll, which I am happy with, but have to re-install every time I up-grade. Maybe this is something that you just have to do each time?

Ragine
Manufacturing Systems, Inc

Ragine Hendrickson
Manufacturing Systems Inc/TRU-CATCH TRAPS
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/27/03 at 19:22:59

If you get the add-ons from IS Tech Support and sign up for at least the Bronze support level, you will be able to download ALL your updates from us and never need one from DBA.  We have a standing agreement with DBA that all the IS Tech Support updates will also include any patches provided by DBA and be coordinated with our add-on programs so that once it is installed the first time, you will never have to worry about it so long as you only install our updates.

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #7 - 02/28/03 at 12:18:54

Karen,

The client that this was originally architected for has many of the same concerns/challenges with the Lot?Serial control that you mentioned as they are also dealing with steel and use lot numbers for the heat number.  I also architected an improvement to the lot/serial control subsystem, but they back-burnered it until/unless others could be found who wanted to go in cooperatively on the development cost.

Coincidentally, I have just been emailing the last couple of days with another DBA site where they have the same problems and they ARE interested in getting together and having this done.

Knowing dear Lynn, if we can get a number of sites that are willing to bear the development cost for what should be a good enhancement, she would most likely be quite happy to shoulder the on-going maintenance as an IS Techsupport thing.

As to the Shipping module, it was designed to address a number of needs and I did not want to get into a 4000 word essay on the complete architecture....(I already sent that to Lynn to read...hehehe).

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #8 - 03/03/03 at 14:29:33

Hey folks......

Could really use some feedback of interest and willingness to purchase this, please....

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #9 - 03/11/03 at 13:40:46

So...folks.  The stats say that there are now over 400 members here.

And this rather significant post got about 4 replies.

Well, with 1 percent replying, and none very positive, I can see now why it takes a lonnnnnggg time for DBA to bother coming out with anything new.

It is very discouraging to come up with any good solid new functionality (which this certainly would be) when the actual user community cannot be bothered to even say "hey WE need that!".  Let alone to say they would at least be willing/likely to buy it.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
RAGINE

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 03/11/03 at 16:22:23

Lorne,

OK I'LL TAKE THE PLUNGE & NAME A PRICE Shocked

We do alot of shipping in our company & I like the enhancements there, but the Inventory Transfer portion would not benefit us.We are also a small company & DBA was a big investment for us, it took me some begging & pleading to spend $199.00 on a Payroll upgrade. What  would I be willing to pay?(OR SHOULD I SAY WHAT WOULD THE BOSS BE WILLING TO PAY?) about the same as the payroll upgrade, which will take more pleading & begging cry cry cry
Our Company does not give away it's services or products for free, but we do have a budget that we have to maintain. I do thank-you for the free advice that you gave me regarding a post I listed, but that's what a forum's for, right Wink  

Sincerely,
Ragine
MSI/TRU-CATCH TRAPS

Ragine Hendrickson
Manufacturing Systems Inc/TRU-CATCH TRAPS
ISTECH 2004.1 10/31/06 UPDATE
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #11 - 03/11/03 at 17:38:10

Now THAT is at least what Lynn and I were looking for!

Thank you Ragine!

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #12 - 03/12/03 at 15:28:08

Quote from aricon   on 03/11/03 at 13:40:46:
It is very discouraging to come up with any good solid new functionality (which this certainly would be) when the actual user community cannot be bothered to even say "hey WE need that!". Let alone to say they would at least be willing/likely to buy it.

Even though you think you have a great idea, maybe there just aren't very many people here who think they could actually use it. Maybe part of it is that we don't know everything it would do - there was one feature that I didn't know about until I responded to an unrelated question on a different thread.

Sometimes the simple things (like user-settable defaults or drill-downs) are more important. Remember, people have to learn to use the new program too, once you come out with it and they pay for it.

The simple fact is that if people were dying to have the "good solid new functionality" they'd be telling you.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #13 - 03/12/03 at 15:51:22

Quote from aricon   on 03/11/03 at 17:38:10:
Now THAT is at least what Lynn and I were looking for!

Copy of my email to you dated 2/26/03:
We would be interested in it, but would probably only use about a quarter of the features mentioned. I'd be willing to pay $2-300, depending what the "number of other capabilities......" includes.

« Last Edit: 03/13/03 at 06:02:52 by David Waldmann »  

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Brian Snyder

Reply #14 - 03/14/03 at 15:43:33

While most of the improvements you have mentioned would not benefit us, there are a few that would be a big help.  The addition of of a button in sales order entry to add notes on a line by line basis is a great idea.  Many of our vendor's software programs allow this and we thought it was a function that DBA was in need of.  

We would like the ability to make the note on a particular line item and have a box to check off for the location that the note would print, e.g. invoice, packing slip or acknowledgement.  By doing so, it would eliminate the need to click a button and reenter the same info for each form.

D. Brian Snyder
Prebco Bushing Company
Baldwin Park, California
Evo-ERP 2007.1 ISTech Update 5/1/07
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print