Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lifetime License (Read 5078 times)
fredh
Ex Member

Re: Lifetime License
Reply #30 - 06/05/03 at 11:53:20

We are lifers. We just want to avoid possible "complications" during the coming years.

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #31 - 06/05/03 at 12:03:26

It is my understanding they are only sending them out to lifetime license customers.  Annual License customers still need to pay their annual fee to get the updated license file each year.  Which certainly makes sense.  Kinda defeats the purpose if they send a file good for 30 years to the annual license customers.   Tongue

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
vicki
Browser

Greetings

Reply #32 - 07/03/03 at 17:13:09

I have a question concerning the lifetime license. Do you know if DBA is going to support the old platform or are they planning on phasing out and what we got is what we got. We signed up as lifetime so that we could get updated info and to get fixes. Does anyone else have the same concern?  
vicki

By the way Happy 4th everyone

Victoria Dukes
Thermometrics Corporation
www.thermometricscorp.com
Email WWW vichayden2002   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #33 - 07/03/03 at 21:07:06

Vicki -

There are several posts along this same line in different areas of the forum.  The bottom line is that DBA Software (as a company) is no longer providing anything beyond essential bug fixes to the current platform.  They are devoting their programming resources to their new EziJobs version which may have a lot of good features but is nonetheless a new program with the associated learning curve and potential bugs.  As a lifetime license user, you can get the EziJobs update for free but you will pay the price in training employees in a completely new software, the potential problems transferring data from the current DBA (they have promised a program to transfer data but there has been some discussion whether all historical transaction data will transfer over - yet to be determined...) and if you jump in early, the inevitable bugs inherent in a new software product.

IS Tech Support was established in January of 2003 as an alternative for existing DBA customers who prefer to stay with the existing platform and build on it.  We offer program updates and enhancements for a modest charge of $35/month as well as this free user forum and support plans offering unlimited email and phone support for additional charges.  See www.istechsupport.com/guest-plans.asp for additional details.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Laura Oliver

Reply #34 - 07/05/03 at 06:53:35

The way I understood it,  we could switch to EZIJOB  (at no cost??)  but some data may not Xfer and our guys would have to learn new software.

The 1st question I have is...................................How long can we stay with DBA and then switch to EZIJOB at no cost?     Is it conceivable that as a lifetime user I could use DBA for 5 more years and then still swithc to EZIJOB at no cost?

The 2nd question is ..... doe Software go bad?    I could probably use DBA with no upgrades for 10 years.   Of course I am sure it would not operate on Windows 2010 or  Windows ZZP.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura D. Oliver
classic DBA since 1997
EVO on Amazon server as of 5-2022
DIXIE PRECISION INC.
Birmingham, Alabama
(205)- 841-8400

www.dixieprecision.com

Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #35 - 07/05/03 at 09:08:11

Laura,

As I understand it from Mike, you have essentially forever to make the decision to switch to Ezijobz at no additional cost.

As to whether DBA TAS 5.1 version will continue to run?  Well, as Microsoft moves fully into a .NET environment (probably about 2006-2007) you can be almost guaranteed that the current DBA will not run entirely successfully.  Just the way the software world works.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #36 - 07/05/03 at 10:01:33

Lorne is correct, there is no time limit specified at this time forcing you to make a switch to Eziobs - you can continue to use DBA Manufacturing indefinitely and then switch at some future date.  You will notice that TAS 6 Evolution is presented on our web page as an alternative OR an interim solution to providing Windows capability to DBA Manufacturing for users who may want to defer switching to EziJobs until such time as the programmers get most of the kinks worked out.

As to Windows platforms, that is another issue that remeains to be seen.  Presuming Pervasive continues to provide updated versions, it is conceivable that ISTS will be able to continue to evolve the program but only time will tell.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print