Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/16/24 at 22:38:37
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sorry-please respond to this message only (Read 2282 times)
Mike@TEK
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Sorry-please respond to this message only
05/06/03 at 14:03:56

We would like to go ahead and start using serial control for our products.  Using a simple example, I have a  few questions hopefully someone could respond to:  

We have previously built and shipped five red wagons, serial number 1 thru 5.  We are going to create another work order to build 5 more wagons, serial # 6 thru 10, and ship all those through one sales order.    

I think I understand how to correctly use serial # 6 thru 10  in regard to entering work order finished production and releasing/posting sales order invoices. My concern, in this example, is more with serial # 1 thru 5:  

1) First, it seems OK that I can go ahead and under the wagon item number, pre-enter serial # 6-10 thru DBA menu SC-A (or serial # up to, lets say, 100, if I wanted to).  Is this practice indeed OK?  
2) It also appears from looking at SC-A, I can enter serial # 1-5 (the five units previously built) and enter the work order number, date received (enter finished production date, I presume) and work order unit cost.  Is this OK too?  
3) If entering serial # for  previously built and shipped wagons is OK, how do I tie those first five # to the invoice number under which those five shipped?  Searching through the SERIAL and BKARINV files, I dont see where the serial number ties to the invoice number.  
4) Any general advice/precautions in regard to using serial number control?  

Thanks!  
Mike  

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Sorry-please respond to this message only
Reply #1 - 05/06/03 at 14:13:11

If you have parts in stock (On-Hand) in DBA that need serial numbers and you are just turning Serial Control on for those parts, then yes, you can use SC-A to set them up.  You do not enter anything in SC-A for parts that have not been built yet.  Once you turn the Serial Conterol on for the part number, when you do Enter Finished Production (WO-I) you will be prompted for the serial numbers.  Similarly, when you process the shipment through inviocing, you will again be prompted for the serial numbers.

There is really no good way to enter the prior shipments because that is stored in the INVTXN (Inventory Transaction) and BKSOHSER (Serial Shipment History) files that are posted to when invoices for serialized items are posted.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #2 - 05/06/03 at 14:36:20

Unless of course you want to enter the records manually in Maintain Database for those tables.  But this should only be done by someone VERY confident about how to use MDb.  And you should make a copy of the tables BEFORE you begin Shocked

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mike@TEK
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/06/03 at 14:41:51

Thanks Lynn,
When I post invoices with items under serial control, after I click yes to the Start Posting? message, the processing screen flickers infinitium, until I hit Exit.  The posting completes, but when I run the Serial History report, the serial #s will sometimes be listed under more than one invoice #.  I do not have this problem with non-serial-controlled items-

Mike

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #4 - 05/06/03 at 14:44:10

What version are you on?  I Know there were some recent bug fixes relating to Serial Control.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Mike@TEK
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 05/06/03 at 14:50:00

2002.4 DL.

In your first reply, are you implying that I should not pre-enter serial numbers to be later called up during entering work order finished production.  Our serial # are long, and I've rather have our data entry person enter them vs. our production manager?

Lorne--thanks for the reply also.  I'm still interested in having a complete serial history.  I have spent a ton of time in Maintain Database in the process of creating a bunch of Crystal Reports.  I could practice in the dummy company--what specific files should I enter info?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #6 - 05/06/03 at 15:00:35

There is an SP to 2002.4 both on the www.istechsupport.com site and the DBA site that shuold help the invoice posting problem with the loop.

As for the history, if all you want is to be able to run SC-D to see what invoice a serialized item shipped out on and when, you need only populate the INVTXN file with part number, date, transaction type (S), serial number, invoice number and cost.  However, if that invoice number is from your system prior to DBA, you wuold then need to go to that system to see who that invoice belonged to.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #7 - 05/06/03 at 22:23:21

Mike,

Just out of curiousity, why use Crystal?  I have found that MS Access can accomplish anything with DBA's data that Crystal can, and quite often a whole lot more.  Particularly with some good VB code used.  And Access is cheaper.... Roll Eyes

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mike@TEK
Browser

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 05/07/03 at 08:30:50

Good question Lorne,

Well, the reasons:
1) Not being familiar w/ either Access or Crystal at the time our company decided we needed  better data output format from DBA (which was about this time last year), I took beginning courses in both.  I found Crystal as a whole to be considerably more logical in design and ease-of-use.  (It appears that w/ many small businesses that have used both Access and Crystal, many tend to fall decidely in one of the two groups).  

2)Cost really wasn't a factor-we paid $500 for the one Professional Version license, which is one my desktop.  I create and update the reports and export them in Excel format to our network.  (We are very much a spreadsheet-orientated company).

3)Im sure, as a true database, Access has a few more tricks up its sleeve than Crystal.  I just never really warmed up to Access, but I think Crystal is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Whatever Crystal can't cover in regard to calculations and such, I just covered that w/ automatically-run macros in Excel.

Mike

IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #9 - 05/07/03 at 10:17:01

Hmmm...interesting.

I lean heavily toward Access because as a database unto itself (and a relational one at that), it provides far more flexibility than just a report writer like Crystal.  Not to say that Crystal isn't the most outstanding report writer on the market....it is without a doubt.

I also find that due to the multi-table, transactional database design of DBA, it is often difficult to get Crystal to do many of the things that arew desired when many tables and many fields from those tables are involved.

Also, Crystal Enterprise REALLY doesn't like some portions of the non-standard DDF's that DBA uses.  So occasionally it can really choke on that.

Just some of my observations and musings. Grin

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print