Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing DBA... (Read 1856 times)
ITman
Ex Member

Installing DBA...
07/18/03 at 13:34:10

I just installed DBA on a server, made the network shares, and setup the clients.  It's all works ok, but I do have a question...  I have to map drives to DBA and persusave?  Can I just use the UNC names?  (ie.  \\server\folder)

The problem I have is that the users have a little too much access to the DBAMFG and PVSW folders, I don't want anything to get deleted by accident..   can I make any of them read only/hidden?  Maybe deny access to others?  We use Windows 2000 Server w/AD and W2k Pro for clients.

Thanks

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Installing DBA...
Reply #1 - 07/18/03 at 14:25:21

You do need a mapped drive to DBAMFG but the map to the Pervasive folder is only needed during the actual installation process.  As for access, the important stuff is the data and the users do need access to the data folders.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/18/03 at 14:39:24

Whoa!  Thanks for the fast reply!

Ok, so I can remove the Pervasive drive from the users and the Subdirectories under DBAMFG correct?  Can I also make all the files in the DBAMFG folder read only?  I don't want a user deleting them by accident and the whole system going down...

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 07/18/03 at 20:10:50

The subdirectories under DBAMFG contain the data, those are the folders the users MUST have access to.  And they can't be read-only because the users are the ones writing to the data.  You can set the program files in DBAMFG read-only but that doesn't accomplish much as they are easy enough to reinstall.  The data is the important stuff, it is imperative to have a regularly scheduled automatic backup routine that backs up open files or shuts down the Pervasive Service before running.  See the recent thread "Middle of the nught backup" on this topic.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/03 at 11:47:40

So I have to share out the DBAMFG folder and allow read/write access to it?  I should just restore from a backup if anyone deletes anything?  Is there a work around for this by any chance?

Thanks

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #5 - 07/21/03 at 14:08:02

Yes, that is what you need to do.  I am not aware of any work around.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/03 at 08:46:32

I just did find a work around.  You can remove the drive from being displayed in Windows Explorer (Includes My Computer and all windows 'save' dialogs).  However, the drive is still available to the system for use.  (ie. DBA...)

There is a key in the registry to disable the viewing of drives.  This is what I did and it worked perfect:

1.  [Hkey_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVesion\Policies\Explorer]

2. Add a Dword Value there called 'NoDrives'

3. Modify it (decimal value) to a number that corresponds to the drive you would like to hide from users.  It is binary and the values start at A: and go all the way to Z:.  For example, drive A: is 1, B: is 2, C: is 4, D: is 8... etc..  You can disable all drives with a value of 67108863.

So, if I want to hide drive M: (the drive I currently mapped to DBA, I used value 4096).  You can also add the values together.  To hide drive A: and drive C: you would use 5.  

I used Windows 2000 server with Active Directory and I will be pushing this registry value out to all machines when they logon with group policy.  I just tested it with a test machine/user I have setup and it worked excellent.  DBA works as normal and the drive is gone.

Remember that changing the registry is risky business if your not careful, so make backups (as always...) and watch out.  Especially, if you have it to import to all machines on the network...

-Just offering advice for other DBA admins that encountered this, I'm not responsible if anything goes south.  Also, it's important to note that the drives will be hidden to casual users.  You can still get to the drive by going through the command prompt (which I disabled for normal users here anyway) or using winfile.exe (which I will delete from all machines soon).

-Keith

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #7 - 07/24/03 at 10:56:00

Interesting work-around.  It eliminates the ability to retrieve a report saved to a text file or exported data since both those actions require the file to be saved in the DBAMFG folder but presumably the level of user you don't want poking around in the directory is not likely to be needing those capabilities anyway.  Is the registry setting the same for other workstation Windows OS (98, 95, XP)?

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/24/03 at 12:20:47

I have used it so far on Win98Se and Win2k and it worked.  I don't know about 95 or XP though.  I don't have any machines here to test it on.  

As for the text file reports and exporting data you bring up an interesting point.  Maybe I could write a quick batch file to copy the reports out of the DBAMFG share and then put it on the users desktop.  Say one that would copy all *.txt excluding version.txt.  It should work because the system (batch files included) can see the drive ok, I'll try it tomorrow.

Do you know off hand if there would be any other functionality lost from setting up this kind of access control?

-Keith

IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #9 - 07/24/03 at 12:33:52

I routinely Save Reports to c:\windows\desktop (Win 98se).  As long as you use a fully qualified filename, you can save it anywhere.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #10 - 07/24/03 at 17:07:09

Kevin,

Unfortunately that is not always true.  On some machines (and I don't know why some but not others) when you include a path in the Save in DBA for any report, you can't do anything else in DBA until you exit out and come back in again.  The program gets lost somehow so whatever you try to do next in DBA it says "Unable to fine file BKSOF.RUN" or whichever program you are trying to run.  This is yet another quirk of the existing TP5WDBA.EXE that is solved by the Evolution menu overlay.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print