Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 05:41:33
News:
Home Help Search Login

Poll
Question: What do you the users want us to develop?

Evo & Classic  
  42 (38.8%)
Evo only  
  15 (13.8%)
Evo, and only bug fixes to Classic  
  51 (47.2%)

Total votes: 108
« Created by: NovaZyg on: 03/08/07 at 07:08:22 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evo Vrs Classic Development (Read 10811 times)
NovaZyg
Administrator

When all else
fails.. Read the
instructions.

Evo Vrs Classic Development
03/08/07 at 07:08:22

Since you brought it up, lets take a poll to see what the users want.

Allen Landry
Evo~ERP

EvoERP and DBA Classic always Beta's of the Latest versions.

WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Re: Evo Vrs Classic Development
Reply #1 - 03/08/07 at 07:40:48

Technically Kevin turned the old thread into a Poll but your poll is more short and sweet.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

EvoERP Version 1-22-10 SP3
5 User Workgroup Pervasive 10
Email WWW   IP Logged
JNAPIER

Evil-Evo Bad Dog!

Reply #2 - 03/08/07 at 07:45:03

I voted Evo Only. Hey the more time they can work on EVO, the faster it will get dialed in.......

John

EVO-ERP, ISTS 3.27.08 , 2000I 10 user
Email WWW   IP Logged
kevind

I was more than
willing to
"pony up",
how b'out U?

Reply #3 - 03/08/07 at 07:46:21

I represent that remark!!!      Grin Grin Grin

Seriously though, I was not only interested in YES or NO, but also a reason why.

Kevin Damke
Spectronics Corporation
ISTECH 2004.1 7/26/13 SP1 - 20 user
Evo-ERP Build 7/25/13 T7 -7i R6 - 3 user
(Prev version was 2004.1 10/24/12)
(All Patches Installed as of 7/26/13)
Pervasive 2000i SP4 - Crystal Reports V10
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #4 - 03/08/07 at 08:00:23

I voted Evo only after first gut reaction was to fix bugs in Classic also.  My reason is that most of my workstations now only have the Evo shortcut because I want my users to be using that.  Only a few select people still have the DBA option in case a report does not work in Evo (It happens!)
I like the way Evo is going and would like to see it get there faster.

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #5 - 03/08/07 at 08:19:22

Quote from kevind on 03/08/07 at 07:46:21:
I represent that remark!!! Grin Grin Grin

Seriously though, I was not only interested in YES or NO, but also a reason why.

I'm not saying that your poll was bad. Far from it actually. But his *was* more to the point and I think that what ISTech is most interested in is whether people want them to continue developing Classic (no way) or move to just Evo. Personally, I voted just Evo because I think it's a waste of time to try to even fix bugs in Classic. I'm well aware of the hornet's nest that was the source code for the Classic version and if I were them I wouldn't want to touch that rotting carcass with a 10 foot pole. Still, I certainly understand how current users of Classic would appreciate bug fixes.

Most companies drop bug fixing old versions VERY rapidly. You will be hard pressed to see new fixes for old versions of Flash, SurfCam, etc. They only fix the newest version and if you want fixes you'll keep current on version. One might think that unfair as you did pay for the old product but it's just not worth it to try to fix a software version is that outdated. It's way more work and provides basically no new money. And, let's put it this way... The last version of Classic was from 2004 and it is now 2007. There has been three years of fixes and upgrades to a discontinued product. That's about 2 years more than there should have been. I think that bug fixes should usually be free once you buy a product but I see no special reason to even attempt coding support for older revisions of a software product. Granted, take what I say with a grain of salt because I write software too and I know first hand the horror that is debugging. No programmer wants to debug any more than they absolutely have to. Trying to fix multiple software revisions is just a black hole with no center. The developer will end up getting sucked into it with no end in sight. So from my vantage point, I do not want to subject ISTech to that level of Hell. I would rather they concentrate on something that 1:Will make them money and 2: Will most quickly create a minimally buggy product. Goal 1 somewhat naturally leads to goal 2 and goal 2 leads to goal 1. They support each other. Fixing a three year old program that has already been superceded for quite some time is just a dead end. And, as Forest Gump says, that's all I have to say about that.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #6 - 03/08/07 at 08:52:30

Unfortunately, if IS Tech announced that they were not going to do anything with Classic, they would probably be hurt in the revenue department. That would affect the development of Evo as much or more than continuing to make bug fixes to Classic.  

On the other hand, if they announce that all new feature development will be happening in Evo only, but that they will continue to support Classic indefinitely, most of their Classic support customers would be completely satisfied. I'm painting them with a broad brush, I know, but I really get the sense that Classic users don't care much about new features. They want Classic to do what it does, just the way it does (or should), and to do it in a way that requires near zero support.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #7 - 03/08/07 at 09:07:13

You could be right. But I still think that what I'm saying makes sense. That it's not reasonable to expect a company to support a long dead version of a software package when new versions are now out. Did DBA Mfg ever make bug fixes for old versions of DBA once they came out with a new version? Why should ISTech?  

I don't know how many of their customers are sticking with Classic and how many are on Evo. But I hope most of them are on EvoERP by now. I would think that some sort of promotion would be possible to get the holdouts to transition over. Like maybe give them free updates subscription equal in value to the cost of the upgrade to Evo?

One of my big problems with the support of Classic (and this happens in plenty of other situations like this as well - Think Windows) is that supporting the old version (Classic) requires that EvoERP conform to the Classic parameters. Such as, EvoERP can't encrypt passwords because Classic wouldn't understand it then. EvoERP can't change database fields that are also used in Classic. The list goes on. It really is time to quit the heel dragging and just bite the bullet and do what it takes to get everyone onto EvoERP.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
deburr

Reply #8 - 03/08/07 at 09:34:18

I agree with Cathy. Classic is a good safety net when Evo updates go bad.

Thanks,

Steve Cyr
Deburring House Inc.
EVOERP
Version 2018.2
PSQL 12

Email   IP Logged
tdlugosh

Reply #9 - 03/08/07 at 09:37:10

I agree with GG.  Think DBA->NG.  They dumped a viable product for a pie-in the-sky product that stinks after at least 3 years work.  Some people are perfectly happy with Classic - it does the job.  Classic needs to be maintained while EVO is being developed.  The market will tell ISTECH when Classic is no longer relevent.  I'd hate to think Lynn would operate the way Mike Hart did and leave hundreds of customers stranded.

Tom Dlugosh

Classic & EVO-ERP 10/31/06 update
Pervasive 9.5 Client Server W2k3 Standard
  IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #10 - 03/08/07 at 09:47:53

See, here's my point though. EvoERP is not substantially different than Classic. It's the exact same thing but with some GUI and other improvements.  There is no leaving people high and dry. DBA NG was not even developed by DBA and was nothing like Classic AT ALL. There is a HUGE difference between what I'm suggesting and what DBA Mfg did. If Classic were as great as people seem to be suggesting then why does it even need updates? Wink

The underlying problem though, is that so far EvoERP has had a lot of stability problems. It would seem that maybe it needs more testing before release. But still, the old classic programs are available in the interim. I just don't think that any work should be done to those old versions if it can at all be helped. If there is some huge show stopper then, yeah, fix it. But otherwise leave it lie. Classic programs are an albatross around the neck of EvoERP and really should go as soon as possible.

But, if using Classic means that much to people then they are free to use it for however long they want. I just don't think that they should expect any more updates.

Quote from tdlugosh on 03/08/07 at 09:37:10:
I agree with GG. Think DBA->NG. They dumped a viable product for a pie-in the-sky product that stinks after at least 3 years work. Some people are perfectly happy with Classic - it does the job. Classic needs to be maintained while EVO is being developed. The market will tell ISTECH when Classic is no longer relevent. I'd hate to think Lynn would operate the way Mike Hart did and leave hundreds of customers stranded.

Tom Dlugosh

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #11 - 03/08/07 at 10:20:02

1) Freeze Classic's feature set forever.

2) Remove Classic from future Evo distros

3) Continue to support Classic users with bug fixes (stabilize)  

4) Develop new features for Evo~ERP only

Meanwhile, the user community works on the universal interface (Intra/Internet) so that non-transactional users get their data / reports without noodling around inside Evo. Honestly, I get more complaints from users who are trying to extract data than I do from those who are performing transactions. I thought that my web interface was going to be for customers and vendors, but most of the excitement when I demonstrate new web-based features sounds like, "Oh wow, I can use that myself! It's much easier than getting the tracking number (or whatever) out of Evo!"

Tongue

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
kkmfg

Ghost of the code

Reply #12 - 03/08/07 at 10:23:50

That sounds like a decent enough plan to me.

Collin
K & K Manufacturing, Inc

Email WWW   IP Logged
tdlugosh

Reply #13 - 03/08/07 at 12:58:55

The four steps seem to be a very sound approach for long term planning.  In the short run, however, current iterations need a lot of attention.

Tom

Classic & EVO-ERP 10/31/06 update
Pervasive 9.5 Client Server W2k3 Standard
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #14 - 03/08/07 at 17:48:06

Agreed, the immediate near term plan is bug fixes and stability on all platforms.  We are already chest-deep (up to our necks?) in issues large and small that are being addressed and patches will be posted immediately as things are fixed.  These patches will not require data structure updates so long as you have the base 2/14/07 update installed.

The purpose of these polls is to solicit your opinions as to where we go a few months down the road once the near term objective is achieved.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print