Send Topic Print
E-Mail failure (Read 1214 times)
dashdown

Be alert.  The
world needs more
lerts.

E-Mail failure
09/15/09 at 09:43:08

When an email sent from evo fails to to be delivered, is there a way to have a notification sent to Outlook?

Email   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: E-Mail failure
Reply #1 - 09/15/09 at 09:53:56

If you send an email from Outlook is there a way to tell if it has not been delivered? Do you mean one that bounces or one that goes to a spam box or the ether? If it bounces the notification will be sent to whatever email address you put in TAS-C > EMail Settings in the EMail Address box.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #2 - 10/09/09 at 04:18:45

Quote from GasGiant on 09/15/09 at 09:53:56:
If you send an email from Outlook is there a way to tell if it has not been delivered?

As a matter of fact, yes.

Open a new message and go to Options. Check off "Request a delivery receipt". Note that this is different than a "Read receipt" which the receiver has the option to Not send, per message or as a default. I'm not sure of the technical aspect of how this works, but somehow the destination server sends a reply. However, this only confirms that the message has been delivered, not that it has been opened or filtered out. The lack of a reply indicates it was not delivered, but there is no positive notice that it wasn't - you'd have to manually follow up.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #3 - 10/09/09 at 05:19:50

And, oh, by the way, email servers are not obligated to send the header info used to verify delivery, and even those that do are not always able or willing to verify that the email address even exists. So you may get a false positive, or you may get nothing. At least a read receipt actually means something when received. However, I don't see settings for either type of receipt in US-A.  Huh

Either way, I don't think that was what the person was asking. I suspect they just want bounce notices sent to Outlook, which is simply a matter of setting up the sending address in US-A or TAS-C.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #4 - 10/09/09 at 07:10:23

Quote from GasGiant on 10/09/09 at 05:19:50:
At least a read receipt actually means something when received. However, I don't see settings for either type of receipt in US-A.  Huh

Colin, you're right. My concern with using Read receipts is that people can choose to not send them. Like I said, I don't know how Delivery receipts work, but so far I guess I've been lucky...

And no, there is no option in Evo to request either. I was just stating that the feature is something already present in the established email protocol, so it could be added to Evo.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print