Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/29/24 at 23:36:48
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 Not Running EvoERP (Read 11253 times)
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Windows 7 Not Running EvoERP
03/21/11 at 11:11:12

Windows 7 -64bit workstation.  Fully patched and hardened.  Novell client 2, Novell Netware server 6.5.
Pervasive 9.5 sp2, installed and works just fine.  Novell drive mapping h:\dbamfg, same as on XP workstations.  

Logged in workstation at the moment as the Admin.  The Evo workstation setup ran fine, no problems.
Rights are full to the C:\ists folder to Administrators, users, Power users.  

When you launch Evo, you get a message "Fatal Error:  Data dictionary file could not be opened.  H:\fileloc.dbf."

I can open the H: drive and find this file no problem.  Drive H: has been set to persistent:y

I can open and run other apps from the server no problem.  Just not EvoERP.

Also, (if) when this gets working, will the user have to use this with Run As Administrator?  We do not
give users their Admin login and password.  Will Evo not run otherwise?  That's just not right.  If that is the case, this user won't have Evo on their system.

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
skyywalker

Use [the] Force
Luke!

Re: Windows 7 Not Running EvoERP
Reply #1 - 03/21/11 at 12:04:26

If the same map is used from other workstations, my 1st, blind guess is a dns problem.  can you ping the server by name?  if so, does it return the right IP address?

Once Evo is installed and running as an admin, your users should be able to run it too.  I usually move the Evo icon to the workstation's All Users Desktop and give my Evo Users (group!!!) full control of it.

Malcolm Boykin
Hectech Support, LLC
  IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #2 - 03/21/11 at 13:28:42

Right click and "Run as Admin" needs to be used when installing the PSQL client (32-bit or 64-bit) and when running the Evo setup. I had to install the client twice to get it to work correctly. After the install and setup, Evo will run fine by just running the shortcut.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #3 - 03/22/11 at 05:35:58

Everything was installed as Admin as it always has to be.  My question was whether or not my users also had to run it as admin--that's what seemed to be the case in some of the other posts.  But you are saying that I don't have to worry about that, it will run as a normal user account under Windows 7, good thing.

I can ping the server both by name and by IP.  The system IS logged into the server, and I can get to any file/folder from any other mapped drive.  I can also browse the H:\dbamfg folder, which is my drive mapping for Evo. It just won't run the program.  The Pervasive client tests 100% fine, too.

Really, really frustrating.  

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
MikeT

Reply #4 - 03/22/11 at 08:14:29

I'm not familiar with Novell, so I'm not sure that I can help as much as others who are.
Make sure to perform "net config server /autodisconnect:-1" in command prompt as administrator, then restart the computer. Sometimes this fixes the problem if making the drive persistent doesn't seem to be working properly.
That usually fixes the problem for me.

Michael Tingle
G.R. Manufacturing, Inc.
Trussville, AL
Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ Pervasive v11
50 Users
WWW   IP Logged
skyywalker

Use [the] Force
Luke!

Reply #5 - 03/22/11 at 10:04:40

does the Evo workstation setup run?

what if you take the map out of the equation and use UNC instead (\\servername\share)?

what if you use the server's IP instead of it's name (\\serverip\share)?

Malcolm Boykin
Hectech Support, LLC
  IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #6 - 03/22/11 at 10:43:28

OK so I just uninstalled EVERYTHING and dumped the temp files and left over folders and started completely from scratch using the default Admin user for Windows 7.  Everything installed fine again,
everything tests fine, network use works for everything and every file/folder-Except Evo.

Logged into the workstation still as the win 7 admin. Logged into the server/network as the network admin.

Launch Evo.  Login with my admin Evo credentials.  I get the following errors:
File open error window:
Error
File open error  
Error #12
File was not found
filename BKSYMSTR
Program name H:\EvoERPmenu.rwn
Exe path:  c:\ists
The program will now close.

click on OK, next error is

Fatal Error File: Evoerpmenu.scr line 1019
The field you are trying to use is unallocated.  It may be a file that hasn't been opened or was an
array that was removed from memory.  BKSY.COMP.NAME

click on OK, next error is

Fatal Error:  File NZEvo.lib line 160
You have tried toaccess a file that has not been previously opened, or the file number value (FNUM) passed was zero.

Click on ok, next error is

Info
ISlog file could not open ... error   2

click on OK, an Evo desktop loads--sorta. There is no icon menu, unable to do anything other than click the "x" to close the window (file, exit does nothing).

So I think this tells me I have to run evoerpsetup in c:\ists and define a startup company, since the file that cannot be found is in the company subdir under dbamfg. So I pick a startup company, save that.
and then try again.

This time it kicks right to the  
File open error window:
Error
File open error  
Error #12
File was not found
filename BKSYMSTR
Program name H:\EvoERPmenu.rwn
Exe path:  c:\ists
The program will now close.

What's not working?  There are full rights to everything, Pervasive tests 100% working, no errors logged to Pervasive, everything works fine network-wise for all other network apps, just not Evo......

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #7 - 03/22/11 at 17:22:16

Can Pervasive Function Executor open H:\DEFAULT\BKSYMSTR.B (or H:\company folder\BKSYMSTR.CompanyCode)?  

Error 12 is saying the file doesn't exist (although it obviously does because all the other workstations can see it) and all the other errors are just a ripple effect of the first one.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
RPCAdmin

Please save me from
the Users!!!!!!!

Reply #8 - 03/23/11 at 04:49:52

May not help, but is User Account Control turned on?  We have seen some programs have issues with this and it has to be disabled.

Mike Nessen
Sr. Engineer/IT Manager/Anything else I need to be
EVO-Erp Build (always the latest) Client/Server
Pervasive 2000i on NT4 Server 15 users
Email 272531373   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #9 - 03/23/11 at 06:59:22

Lynn, yes the Pervasive Function Executor can open the file in the \default, company 01 and company 04
folders, no problems there.

User account control was turned on.  I tried turning it off (turned off the setting, restarted the system). Still get the same error 12 message.....

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #10 - 03/24/11 at 04:56:51

I also tried turning off DEP for the Evo app, and that did absolutely nothing, either.  I have to roll this
machine out today/tomorrow, and I guess at this point it will be without Evo....Oh well.

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
skyywalker

Use [the] Force
Luke!

Reply #11 - 03/24/11 at 06:17:49

logging into novell server's from a windows workstation can get pretty quirky unless you're running zenworks or something similar because Windows maintains a local user/password list and edirectory has it's own.  i'd try creating a 'test' admin user with the same credentials on the workstation and the server to just minimize possible login issues.

what about the Client.  you're using version 2 - i searched Novell's site and found an SP1. have you tried it yet? ...maybe there are some new settings?  ...Have a you tried going back to version 1 just to see what happens?

6.5 should be running IP Only - If you have any kind of IPX enabled, including compatibility mode, turn it off!  ...if your client was installed with IPX support (if that's even still an option) then uninstall, reboot and then reinstall with IP only.   ...on the other hand, maybe IPX is worth testing too BUT if it works maybe that proves some sort of naming/routing issue.

Do your server and workstations use the same primary DNS server?  ...is it on your LAN?  (using your ISP's DNS as the primary - bad idea if your firewall really works!!).  ...try to NSLOOKUP the server...does it look ok?

Can you add your server to the list in PCC?

...and a quick thought, what's your server's name?

--

Malcolm Boykin
Hectech Support, LLC
  IP Logged
RPCAdmin

Please save me from
the Users!!!!!!!

Reply #12 - 03/25/11 at 05:47:33

OK - this is probably obvious stuff, but every now and then on a workstation install, the paths don't populate correctly.  Have you run EvoERPsetup.exe and checked the settings?

Mike Nessen
Sr. Engineer/IT Manager/Anything else I need to be
EVO-Erp Build (always the latest) Client/Server
Pervasive 2000i on NT4 Server 15 users
Email 272531373   IP Logged
gtladmin

Diving is fun,
diving is fun!

Reply #13 - 03/25/11 at 08:02:39

Just to be clear - I have been an admin on Novell and networking since 2.x so I do know and have checked all the typical things one has to do on Novell. It isn't a login issue  ---as I said, logged into the network and I can run all other network-based programs, just not Evo.  

By the way, when I mistype the Evo username or password (on purpose) it DOES come back and tell  me the password is wrong or the username is invalid, so it's looking at the files in the H:\ drive.

We've been only IP for quite some time now....IPX went away a long time ago and everything is configured by default for only IP....

Ran Evoerpsetup quite a few times....that's not the problem...it matches perfectly with other setups on the network, as does the Pervasive setup/configuration.

I only have the latest Novell Client for Windows 7, did not start off with an older one and upgrade. Perhaps I have to get an older client and try..but not today. I have to say, Evo just isn't worth all this work, I have so many other things I really have to get done.  It should not be this hard, no other workstation I have ever had to connect to Evo in all the years (since 1998) has been such a problem with Evo but Windows 7.....I have to roll out this system to the user now since they can't wait so they won't be using Evo.

Val Feehan
  IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #14 - 03/25/11 at 08:43:33

I understand your frustration, but blaming Evo is rather unfair. Evo is running flawlessly on all Win7 machines here and there are several others on here who are doing fine, as well. Since it is likely a Pervasive issue, your criticism may be misplaced. For instance, on the Pervasive site you often see posts like this http://cs.pervasive.com/forums/p/12599/43170.aspx where unresolved 9.5 issues wind up being the culprit. The fact that Pervasive says that 10.3+ is all that they support on Win7 64-bit is telling, as well.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print