Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/05/24 at 06:54:03
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cost Differences between last, avg, std. (Read 1031 times)
JPalmer
Browser

I Love EvoERP!

Cost Differences between last, avg, std.
07/20/16 at 10:39:45

To anyone that may be able to help,

We are a manufacturing company that has a very large amount of parts and a very large amount of these parts are assemblies (type "s") that have a long list of Bill of Materials, with that being said, it is very hard to track how much these assemblies actually cost us, short of going through every component one by one and seeing what the cost was.  

Our main problem is that somewhere along the line the last, avg, and std. cost are all becoming different costs.  This something we do not want obviously because the COGS Report will negatively reflect that.  I understand that you can set the last and avg cost to standard cost by using UT-K-F, but I still do not know how the costs are becoming different from each other in the first place rather than going up and down as one.  Workorders maybe?

We use DBA classic and have an average costing system in place.

If anyone could give some insight into this topic that would be greatly appreciated as we are stumped!

-Jake

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Re: Cost Differences between last, avg, std.
Reply #1 - 07/20/16 at 11:30:36

Last, Average and Standard can very well be all different because they represent different things.  

Average Cost is the weighted average of existing on-hand stock.  New Average Cost is calculated when items are put into stock by averaging with what is there.  If there is 0 on hand, a new average will begin.  Transactions coming out of stock (including COGS of shipments take place at Average Cost.

Last Cost is a reference only and is the cost associated with the last transaction adding to stock, from any source including the reversal of a transaction that would normally consume stock.  

Standard Cost is a benchmark and never changes until you deliberately change it.  Standard Cost for purchased items is entered and then the standard cost of assemblies is rolled up based on the bill of materials, purchased component standard cost and, if applicable, labor and overhead based on time standards on routings and work center rates.

If you use a work order to manufacture an assembly and issue the components to it per the Bill of Materials, the program will calculate the cost for you and WO-I will put the completed assembly into stock at the combined cost of components which will then become COGS when it ships.  Timing is very important as well as preventing negative inventory if you want accurate costs.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
JPalmer
Browser

I Love EvoERP!

Reply #2 - 07/20/16 at 12:01:45

Lynn,  

Thanks for replying!  

So, do you think that doing a work order (WO-I) is what is causing the average cost to be incorrect? I mean I have an idea of what the assembly should cost and the number that it is showing for the average cost and not even close.  I knew that the last cost was just the cost on the last PO received for that part, but if it is an assembly is the last cost on that the assembly the sum of all of its components' last costs?  

Is there a way to print off the summarized bill of materials for last cost?  I know how to do it for average and standard.  

Basically, I am trying to figure out two things.

1. How to figure out the exact cost for an assembly at any given time.

2. Why does the cost of assemblies seem to be so far off from reality?

-Jake

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 07/20/16 at 12:38:29

The cost of assemblies comes from the cost calculated by WO-I.  How are you issuing the components to the work orders?  Do you have multiple level assemblies?  If you do, each level needs a work order to consume its components and create the subassembly which in turn is issued to the next level assembly.

There is an explanation of how WO-I calculates costs at www.istechsupport.com/faq.php

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print