Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/19/24 at 00:41:48
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom Labels/Forms/Reports, How? (Read 739 times)
ITman
Ex Member

Custom Labels/Forms/Reports, How?
07/03/03 at 09:06:13

I'm new to DBA and are currently implementing it now.  I'm looking to customize a few of the reports, labels, and the shop travler.  How do I go about this?  I did find modify forms (enduser.exe), but it will not (maybe I don't know how to use it) change anything.  I can move items around but when I try to use the boxes that *I believe* are pull down menus to insert fields from the data base I find they are blank.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Tim Keating
Ex Member

Re: Custom Labels/Forms/Reports, How?
Reply #1 - 07/03/03 at 09:24:13

Many DBA users use third party programs to write reports, print labels, etc.  The two most popular are MS Access and Seagate Crystal Reports.  Both access DBA data via an ODBC connection.  Most label making software, like Zebra, will access DBA data.

This is because the stock reports in DBA don't work well for everyone and the RTM's can only be edited to a limited extent - you can move and turn off fields but not add them.

A lot of custom reports have been written and are offered by consultants, usually for a reaonable price.

Check out istechsupport.com for other customizations.  I believe there are plans for more editable reports for DBA.

Also, the EziJobs sofftware package that DBA is now distributing claims to have user-defined reports.

IP Logged
ITman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/03/03 at 11:42:55

If possible I would like to keep all reporting done within DBA.  If not that's ok.  However, can Crystal Reports/Access print Shop Travlers as well?

IP Logged
Lynn_Pantic
Administrator

evolution (n) -
gradual change to a
different form

Reply #3 - 07/03/03 at 13:02:26

Yes, if you write a program to do so, either Crystal Reports or Access could print a dosument containing pertinent work order data to use as a shop traveler.  

You could also modify the existing TAS program if you are interested in purchasing the TAS compiler and using the Source Code provided by DBA.  Or you could pay an experienced programmer to make customizations for you.  It all depends on your level of programming expertise, and whether you are interested in purchasing and learning the TAS langage.  Also, if you purchase the TAS 6 Evolution product and TAS 6 forms editor, that version does have the ability to add data fields to RTM forms so it is a more robust editor.

Typically larger DBA installations who have an IT Manager (as your login name implies) can devote the time to in-house programming options and smaller installations are more likely to hire outside programming for customization needs or work within the confines of the program for anything beyond simple Access or Crystal applications.  If you are interested in doing your own TAS programming, IS Tech Support can provide the compiler license and technical support and training relating to the language.

Lynn Pantic
IS Tech Support
lynn@istechsupport.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print