Send Topic Print
odbc security (Read 933 times)
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

odbc security
03/31/04 at 15:23:20

I have just set up my odbc server/client engines and have  connection to access and excel.  I am not sure if in access a linked database is secure enough.  For those of you who use odbc do you use linked tables or do you just import data for a static report.  Do you use passwords and if you do are they difficult to set up and maintain?  With linked tables in access, is it possible to accidentally change data in DBA?  And how do you limit access to certain files in your company data  by certain users?
Obviously more questions than answers here!

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Re: odbc security
Reply #1 - 03/31/04 at 17:13:51

Generally you do not strictly import. Far too much trouble to maintain as you have to constantly re-import. So you link or use pas-through queries.

As to security there is a built-in users/passwords section in Access. Under Tools>Security. And trying to use Access to actually populate data back into DBA is NOT an easy feat, so you don't really need to be too worried about it. However, to make certain, when we design Access apps we use the linked table to get the information and then a query off the linked table which is a make-table query which creates a local table and THAT table is the one that we actually work off.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #2 - 04/02/04 at 13:08:51

Thanks for your input.  I agree that the linked data is much more useful.  And I think my people using the data can be trusted to use query only data tables for their work.  However, I think what I am worried about is that  there are some files included in the linked data, ie general ledger and payroll files, that manufacturing people don't need to have access to.  I don't want them pulling off data from these  files.  Is there a way to create linked tables with only certain data files in them?  If not, how do I prevent certain files from being accessed?  Is this where Access security comes in?  And if they have administrative rights to their computers, can't they just change Access security setup?

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
aricon

Systems
Consulting-See
website for
products!

Reply #3 - 04/02/04 at 13:25:08

When you create a link in Access through ODBC you specify the tables for that particular link so NO they will not be able to go and look at any old table they want.

As far as security, the security in Access is totally separate from that of the local machine and/or their network security. There IS a way to create the ability to control security in an Access app through the network or local logon, but it has to be done in VB code as an Access module (programming in simpler words).

Also, that is why when we design Access apps for clients we do it as a multi-step process where the linked table feeds to a make-table query which provides a locally (in the Access app) stored table that all other queries/reports/forms, etc. work from. This table then gets re-created each time through a macro.

Sincerely,

Lorne Rogers
President
Aria Consulting & Implementers Ltd.
Phone: (780) 471-1430
Fax: (780) 471-4918
E-mail: lrogers@ariaconsulting.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print