Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ODBC and FileMaker (Read 2384 times)
cmsk

ODBC and FileMaker
11/09/06 at 06:42:29

Hi there,  

Anyone know how to get FileMaker happy to see the files from DBA?

--
Thank you
Chris Simo-Kinzer
Vice President
brookfield industries, inc.

Evo-ERP 2017.2 Build 4.5.17 Update T7-7i R11
Pervasive 9.5
Email WWW cmskbii   IP Logged
cmsk

Re: ODBC and FileMaker
Reply #1 - 01/03/07 at 08:19:41

I assume that this isn't possible?!?!

--
Thank you
Chris Simo-Kinzer
Vice President

Pervasive 9.5
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #2 - 01/04/07 at 05:07:07

I don't know much about Filemaker, but it seems like it should work. There are at least three things you need to do before any application can use ODBC to connect to DBA's files:

Create ODBC compliant files - within DBA
Create Server DSN - on the server through Windows
Create User DSN - on the workstation through Windows

Have you done any or all of those, or do you need help?

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
cmsk

Reply #3 - 01/04/07 at 06:09:38

Quote from David Waldmann   on 01/04/07 at 05:07:07:
I don't know much about Filemaker, but it seems like it should work. There are at least three things you need to do before any application can use ODBC to connect to DBA's files:

Create ODBC compliant files - within DBA
Create Server DSN - on the server through Windows
Create User DSN - on the workstation through Windows

Have you done any or all of those, or do you need help?

Sorry, but not TOO savvy with this stuff.  I believe the DSN's are there, but do I need to create something specific for the ODBC?

Not sure about the ODBC files either.  I've done some research on this, but haven't found anything all that clear as to what I'm supposed to do.

I know that File Maker should be able to see the files once everything is in place.  It's the preliminary things that I could use a bit of nudging in the right direction.

--
Thank you
Chris Simo-Kinzer
Vice President

Pervasive 9.5
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #4 - 01/04/07 at 09:47:31

1. See if you have any DDF files in the Company Folder (NOT the DBAMFG root directory). If not, go to UT-A and run ODBCDDF.RUN.

2. On the server, go to the Control Panel and look for an applet called BDE Administrator, ODBC Administrator, Data Sources or something like that - it varies with Pervasive version and maybe OS. If it's the BDE Admin you'll have a list of databases and a menu across the top. Go to Object > ODBC Administrator and you will get to the ODBC Data Source Administrator. Under System DSN click Add and scroll down to Pervasive ODBC Server Engine. Click Finish. In the next box that comes up, give it a name. I use DBA followed by the company code so I can have more than one company and be able to easily tell the difference. You can call it whatever you want. Under Database Name, click Create. In the next box that pops up, give it a name - I use the same one as for the DSN. Then click Browse and select the folder where your data is. Save, OK, etc until everything is closed out.

3. On your workstation, find the same or equivalent ODBC Data Source Administrator. This time go to User DSN, Add, Pervasive ODBC Client Interface. Give it a name - I use the same as the Server DSN. Enter the Server Name under Address, then "Get DSN". If you don't see the one you just entered click the drop down box and select the one you want. Wouldn't hurt to test it, then save, ok etc your way out.

That should do it.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
cmsk

Reply #5 - 01/04/07 at 10:12:58

Quote from David Waldmann   on 01/04/07 at 09:47:31:
1. See if you have any DDF files in the Company Folder (NOT the DBAMFG root directory). If not, go to UT-A and run ODBCDDF.RUN.

Actually, our main company folder IS the root folder, but either way, there are only a couple of DDF files in the root and TESTDATA folders.  So named; Comment, Field, Fieldext, File, Index.  I'm assuming that there should be MANY more?  Also, running ODBCDDF.RUN doesn't affect any data correct?

The other two steps seem easy enough.  I'll let you know if I get stuck and/or how I make out.

Thank you for your help David.

--
Thank you
Chris Simo-Kinzer
Vice President

Pervasive 9.5
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #6 - 01/05/07 at 05:18:22

Quote from cmsk   on 01/04/07 at 10:12:58:
Actually, our main company folder IS the root folder
That may be a problem, I'm not sure. I think that Maintain Database and maybe some other things use the DBA DDFs. The ODBC compliant ones have the same names, but different content. Someone with more knowledge will have to answer for sure.

there are only a couple of DDF files in the root and TESTDATA folders. So named; Comment, Field, Fieldext, File, Index. I'm assuming that there should be MANY more?

Nope, that's all.

Also, running ODBCDDF.RUN doesn't affect any data correct?
That's true, but make sure you have good backups of the original DDFs in case the ODBC compliant ones cause some other problem as in paragraph one.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
cmsk

Reply #7 - 01/05/07 at 05:41:07

Quote from David Waldmann   on 01/05/07 at 05:18:22:

That may be a problem, I'm not sure. I think that Maintain Database and maybe some other things use the DBA DDFs. The ODBC compliant ones have the same names, but different content. Someone with more knowledge will have to answer for sure.

Thanks again David.

Can someone else chime in on this and if it IS an issue, let me know what I need to do to set things straight.  This has been our setup of umpteen years, but if I need to move / rearrange things, please let me know.

Quote:

Nope, that's all.

Okay, but if that's all, the DDF files I have are several years old -- specifically 4/7/03.

Quote:

That's true, but make sure you have good backups of the original DDFs in case the ODBC compliant ones cause some other problem as in paragraph one.

A given, but it sounds like the date is off anyway, as stated above.

--
Thank you
Chris Simo-Kinzer
Vice President

Pervasive 9.5
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print