Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/28/24 at 12:59:33
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Use of Standard Cost vs Average Cost (Read 4595 times)
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Use of Standard Cost vs Average Cost
02/06/08 at 13:41:17

For no reason I can figure out, DBA sometimes posts an Invoice using Standard Cost instead of Average. At least I think that's what's happening. I noticed it because we had one item with a really bad Standard Cost (had a lot size of 0 instead of 2000) and the Standard Cost was more than 100 times what it should have been. The quarter million plus dollars change in Book Value lead me to it pretty quickly...

I have since noticed other items posting a 0 (which is the Standard Cost on them as none has been established). These are manufactured, to-stock items. Nothing unusual about them. No kit components, no WO made from the SO. Just basic make-to-stock and then ship some day.

This item had no Standard Cost, and then the SC was updated to the bad one. You can see some legitimate transactions, and then some illegitimate (?) ones.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Re: Use of Standard Cost vs Average Cost
Reply #1 - 02/06/08 at 13:55:21

Are the orders created in the SO modules or with IN-C?

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #2 - 02/06/08 at 15:10:33

It appears that DBA was written with Standard Cost in mind, and average was added on later, almost as an afterthought.  For example you can rollup at standard cost, but not average.   IN-C can screw up your average costs it you're not careful.  
  If you are using Average Costing, why should Standard costing even be maintained/used by the program?

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
Actican Zen V14 SP2 Workgroup
Win7 64-bit and Win10 Pro
WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #3 - 02/07/08 at 05:26:35

Quote from GasGiant on 02/06/08 at 13:55:21:
Are the orders created in the SO modules or with IN-C?

Orders for this item are created in WO-A. Material and Labor are entered via WO-G and finished production is entered at the finish of the job (one entry only) and the WO closed at the same time in WO-I.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #4 - 02/07/08 at 06:22:21

I meant the Sales Order. The WOs seem to be doing fine.

lmk223a

Accountant

Reply #5 - 02/07/08 at 07:05:04

One thing that is not on your print out is the quantity on hand after the transaction.

What I have learned, is the calculation COGS using average cost is based on the value of Work Order Receipts only!  IN-C adjustments do not affect the value of COGS average cost, even though you have increased quanitities on hand.  You can use IN-K to override the average cost calculation when there are significant changes to inventory provided by IN-C adjustments, and then run UT-K-G to revalue inventory on hand.

The $0 value can occur when the shipment qty and/or negative IN-C quantities exceeds the quanitity added to stock via work order receipts. I would suggest reversing the shipments(for internal records only), manually changing the average cost via IN-K, run UT-K-G and re-process the shipments (internally).  SO-G allows you to view the COGS calculation before the invoice is posted.  That way if you disagree with the system generated COGS (Average Cost) you have the opportunity to change it (IN-K) before posting the invoice.

« Last Edit: 02/07/08 at 08:15:39 by lmk223a »  

EVO/ERP 2007.2 3/2708 update, 15 users
Linda Kucan
Email   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #6 - 02/07/08 at 07:35:39

Quote from Vman on 02/06/08 at 15:10:33:
It appears that DBA was written with Standard Cost in mind, and average was added on later, almost as an afterthought. For example you can rollup at standard cost, but not average. IN-C can screw up your average costs it you're not careful.
If you are using Average Costing, why should Standard costing even be maintained/used by the program?

The two are separate concepts. Think of the three costs as past, present, and future: Last Cost is the past, what it cost the last time. Actual cost is the present, what is the value/cost of a current item in stock. Standard Cost should be a good estimate of the cost of the next item you build. If you use IN-L-E to update your standards costs for purchased items from Average, then run BM-G to roll up your standard costs for products, then you have effectively rolled up average costs. By the same token, using IN-L-E to set standard to Last cost, followed by BM-G, you'd see a different Standard cost result. We use IN-L-E with average cost because we do not purchase parts to specific orders and our material costs fluctuate quite a bit. We run IN-L-E followed by BM-G every weekend. It makes a difference.

David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #7 - 02/07/08 at 09:55:38

Quote from GasGiant on 02/07/08 at 06:22:21:
I meant the Sales Order. The WOs seem to be doing fine.

SO is created in SO-A.

Updated list with UOH below. I can sort of (?) get if UOH goes negative using Standard but don't like it, and it doesn't seem consistent.

But you can clearly see that on 1/23 we made an IN-C adjustment to get inventory right, at 0, made plenty on 1/31 and then then it was shipped without it being at or below 0 it got posted at Standard.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
lmk223a

Accountant

Reply #8 - 02/07/08 at 12:49:06

Thanks for adding the UOH qtys.  

I thought there was a golden rule of DBA/EVO not to process shipments without sufficient qty in inventory to support the shipment - as this would result in unusual COGS costing?  

My first response would support the $0 costing for the 12/12, 1/7 & 1/18 shipments.  If UOH goes negative or exceeds the WO receipts, DBA runs home to mama and put $0 in COGS.  However, I am stumped by 2/4 shipment COGS.

Our daily process (in this order) is to enter labor hours to work orders, enter finished production (WO-I) and then prepare invoices, first verifying qty on hand will support the shipment.  We have been successful since we adopted this process in obtaining normal costing thru EVO.  We employ average costing.

Linda

Linda Kucan
Email   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #9 - 02/07/08 at 12:58:03

There is an option to Not Allow, Warn, or Allow negative qtys.

However, we often have shipments of product made that day that have not had the WO completed yet, and we also use an IS Tech add-on that enters finished production during Invoice Posting for WOs created through SO-N. So we have to allow shipments that would create negative on-hand. Theoretically we still will not actually HAVE negative on hand, because the Fin Prod will be completed before posting, or the add-on will enter it at posting. However, we all know that actual on hand and what the computer says is rarely the same.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #10 - 02/07/08 at 13:00:12

Quote from GasGiant on 02/07/08 at 07:35:39:
It appears that DBA was written with Standard Cost in mind, and average was added on later, almost as an afterthought.  For example you can rollup at standard cost, but not average.   IN-C can screw up your average costs it you're not careful.  

The two are separate concepts. Think of the three costs as past, present, and future: Last Cost is the past, what it cost the last time. Actual cost is the present, what is the value/cost of a current item in stock. Standard Cost should be a good estimate of the cost of the next item you build. If you use IN-L-E to update your standards costs for purchased items from Average, then run BM-G to roll up your standard costs for products, then you have effectively rolled up average costs. By the same token, using IN-L-E to set standard to Last cost, followed by BM-G, you'd see a different Standard cost result. We use IN-L-E with average cost because we do not purchase parts to specific orders and our material costs fluctuate quite a bit. We run IN-L-E followed by BM-G every weekend. It makes a difference.

As I understand the concept of standard costs, they are usually calulated yearly or semi-yearly, and involve quite a bit of work to do them correctly (such as communicating with vendors to get an idea on price increases, etc.)  We have used the IN-L-E and BM-G procedure here, but it seems that what you are doing is using the Standard Cost programs to do what you can't do directly with average cost. This does give you a place holder of sorts for your last good rollup.  Of course with anything like this garbage in=garbage out.  If your average costs get hosed, you can then hose the standard cost with the update/rollup.

If you use IN-C to do an negative adjustment, the Use STD Cost? selection is set to N and not changeable.  I am not sure why that is.  

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
Actican Zen V14 SP2 Workgroup
Win7 64-bit and Win10 Pro
WWW   IP Logged
lmk223a

Accountant

Reply #11 - 02/07/08 at 13:18:01

Quote from David Waldmann on 02/07/08 at 12:58:03:
There is an option to Not Allow, Warn, or Allow negative qtys.

However, we often have shipments of product made that day that have not had the WO completed yet, and we also use an IS Tech add-on that enters finished production during Invoice Posting for WOs created through SO-N. So we have to allow shipments that would create negative on-hand. Theoretically we still will not actually HAVE negative on hand, because the Fin Prod will be completed before posting, or the add-on will enter it at posting. However, we all know that actual on hand and what the computer says is rarely the same.

I forgot to mention, we are on a one day lag basis.  The day the product ships, all we do is process the sales order release and generate a packing slip, because many times the work order is not complete yet with labor hours and materials.  The next day we process labor, any w/o material issues, then enter fin prod, then process sales invoice.

Linda Kucan
Email   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #12 - 02/07/08 at 13:25:10

Quote from lmk223a on 02/07/08 at 13:18:01:
I forgot to mention, we are on a one day lag basis. The day the product ships, all we do is process the sales order release and generate a packing slip, because many times the work order is not complete yet with labor hours and materials. The next day we process labor, any w/o material issues, then enter fin prod, then process sales invoice.

That's almost exactly what we do, except we print the Invoice on the date of shipment, The next AM we make sure any non-entered materials and labor are issued, enter fin prod (if not an SO-N order) and then do the Invoice Posting.

You would often have "negative on hand" in the interim using this method, except that DBA does not actually create the inventory transaction for the shipment until the invoice posts.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #13 - 02/07/08 at 14:53:17

If you use IN-C to do an negative adjustment, the Use STD Cost? selection is set to N and not changeable. I am not sure why that is.

I believe if you are using average cost  you can only adjust out at current avg cost.  You can adjust in at whatever you want. So to correct average cost you adjust total available out, then back in at standard or last or whatever you type in if you say "N" to standard cost.

We use standard cost differently for purchased parts versus manufactured parts.  With purchased parts we use std cost to more or less track our increasing/decreasing costs.  We change these once a year.  Standard costs for product we build are rolled up when we create the part or when we change the part, or when we change standard costs for items that are going into it..

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #14 - 02/08/08 at 07:19:58

Quote from Vman on 02/07/08 at 13:00:12:

As I understand the concept of standard costs, they are usually calulated yearly or semi-yearly, and involve quite a bit of work to do them correctly (such as communicating with vendors to get an idea on price increases, etc.) We have used the IN-L-E and BM-G procedure here, but it seems that what you are doing is using the Standard Cost programs to do what you can't do directly with average cost. This does give you a place holder of sorts for your last good rollup. Of course with anything like this garbage in=garbage out. If your average costs get hosed, you can then hose the standard cost with the update/rollup.

Because many of our raw materials are commodities, like platinum, we tend to watch our costs closely. In order to project margins and keep them in line, we need to rerun standard cost often. I suppose that if your costs don't change very often then you'd only need to refigure your standard costs once in a year. A job shop would need to refigure costs before every quote. The Sequence of Events section of the help says to run IN-L-E and BM-G as needed. Neither is mentioned in month-end or year-end accounting. Some businesses adjust their prices every year or two, others set prices by the job. Obviously, we have different material accounting needs because of this variation.

I'll also mention that if you do not keep your standard costs up-to-date, your Variance account will inflate as time passes. By keeping our standards up-to-date our variances are minimal and we really notice when something goes haywire with costs because we see a blip in the variance account. If your costs don't vary wildly then you could use the variance account to track the gradual change and know when it is time to update pricing.  

Quote from Vman on 02/07/08 at 13:00:12:

If you use IN-C to do an negative adjustment, the Use STD Cost? selection is set to N and not changeable. I am not sure why that is.

As mentioned above, that is backward. From the help file: "If you are entering a negative adjustment, the current average cost is used and you are not allowed to change it. "

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print