Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
05/13/24 at 13:50:30
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Use of Standard Cost vs Average Cost (Read 4601 times)
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Re: Use of Standard Cost vs Average Cost
Reply #15 - 02/08/08 at 08:01:07

Quote from GasGiant on 02/08/08 at 07:19:58:
I'll also mention that if you do not keep your standard costs up-to-date, your Variance account will inflate as time passes. By keeping our standards up-to-date our variances are minimal and we really notice when something goes haywire with costs because we see a blip in the variance account.

So, it sounds like you use Standard Costs(?) We use Average. We maintain and rollup Standard Costs so we can do Estimates and have something to compare our Actual and Averages to. However, Standard Cost (because it uses Lot Size) will never work for us, as our actual lot sizes for the same item can run from 20 to 2000 and the setup costs will make the overall cost vary up to a factor of 10.

Quote from GasGiant on 02/08/08 at 07:19:58:
Quote from Vman on 02/07/08 at 13:00:12:

If you use IN-C to do an negative adjustment, the Use STD Cost? selection is set to N and not changeable. I am not sure why that is.

As mentioned above, that is backward. From the help file: "If you are entering a negative adjustment, the current average cost is used and you are not allowed to change it. "

You're both saying the same thing. NOT using Standard means USING Average.

As to the reason why it makes perfect sense. It's trying to keep you from making a mistake. The workaround if you really do know what you're doing (which has already been said or at least alluded to, I think) is change the Average in IN-K, make the adjustment in IN-C, then change the Average back in IN-C (not necessarily to what it was, though...).

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
IST Build: 3/4/19, patched 04/30/19
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #16 - 02/08/08 at 08:54:41

Quote from David Waldmann on 02/08/08 at 08:01:07:

So, it sounds like you use Standard Costs(?) We use Average. We maintain and rollup Standard Costs so we can do Estimates and have something to compare our Actual and Averages to. However, Standard Cost (because it uses Lot Size) will never work for us, as our actual lot sizes for the same item can run from 20 to 2000 and the setup costs will make the overall cost vary up to a factor of 10.

No, actual. We run IN-L-E and BM-G often to keep an eye on our projected margins, but we use actual cost in WO-I. Even though we recalculate standard often (compared to others) we still see variances, the difference between standard (projected) cost when the WO is released and the actual at the time we close the WO, which could be three days or three weeks later.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #17 - 02/08/08 at 12:23:12

We use average costs as well.  I can understand why IN-C works that way now.  It seems that many people use the standard costs functions (not fully, because if your costing method is average, then the only things in standard costs are materials and labor normally), is a) because you can't directly roll up average costs, and have to use the standard costs programs for things like recalculating COGS when you're doing things like new pricing and b) because it gives you a place to store what should be good costs data that can be used to compare with average and last to see if something is out of whack.
The person who is doing our purchasing now used to work for a large company that did full-blown standard costing.  As she described it to me, it was a very detailed process, including getting price increase projections from vendors, researching trends, recacluating labor rates, etc.  As we are a small company, we can't devote the resources to do this.
I do not profess to be anywhere near an expert at this, so maybe that's why I think the whole use standard cost to rollup your average costs is a little strange.
On a somewhat off-topic note, how do some of you folks handle adjusting items into inventory that were free, such as samples.  If you put them in at last or average cost, are you technically over-stating your inventory value?  If you put them in a 0.01, you hose your average cost.

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
Actican Zen V14 SP2 Workgroup
Win7 64-bit and Win10 Pro
WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #18 - 02/08/08 at 13:33:12

Quote from GasGiant on 02/08/08 at 08:54:41:
...we still see variances, the difference between standard (projected) cost when the WO is released and the actual at the time we close the WO

OIC. I thought you were referring to a GL Variance account of some sort, which is how I think Standard Cost may work(?).

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
lmk223a

Accountant

Reply #19 - 02/11/08 at 07:29:26

Quote from Vman on 02/08/08 at 12:23:12:
On a somewhat off-topic note, how do some of you folks handle adjusting items into inventory that were free, such as samples.  If you put them in at last or average cost, are you technically over-stating your inventory value?  If you put them in a 0.01, you hose your average cost.

We have tried the  IN-C at $.01 way, but have changed to creating a Purchase order for samples.  That way there is a record (audit trail) in the system as to when the sample was received. The sample can be a direct job receipt or issued to multiple work order(s) and the production manager can inquire into EVO as to whether the sample has arrived so he can finish the job on the floor.

Upon Receiving the PO, the item either goes directly to the work order (job receipt) at $0 or can go into inventory at $0
If there is a pre-existing qty in inventory and the purchase order receipt is not directly to a job, EVO will average the $0 cost of the po receipt with those already in inventory when the next work order issue is performed.

EVO/ERP 2007.2 3/2708 update, 15 users
Linda Kucan
Email   IP Logged
dameng

DBA / EVO Software
Consultant

Reply #20 - 02/11/08 at 22:29:37

David,

what are the settings in your DBA / EVO program? i.e. what is set in either SD-H inventory defaults or IN-L-I ?  

most users set to A, for average costing. however, if you have it set to either F (fifo) or L (lifo) then, anytime the UOH for that item go 0, then there is nothing in the LIFO/FIFO buckets to average, hence your average goes to 0. your Last cost will keep the $ cost value.  
if you're on Avg costing, then your Avg cost will remain, even if UOH go 0, so book value is tracked, and then Avg will get recalculated to Last upon the next receipt.

either of those 3 costing methods, do not post at standard cost. ( it may be coincident if both numbers are same, of if you say use std cost either at IN-C or WO-I but that converts the value )

hth

Dave Mengelkamp
Digital Consulting
davemeng@earthlink.net
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #21 - 02/12/08 at 05:11:53

Quote from dameng on 02/11/08 at 22:29:37:
what are the settings in your DBA / EVO program? i.e. what is set in either SD-H inventory defaults or IN-L-I ?

Dave,

Our costing is set to Average. That's why I don't understand why this is happening. Especially the use of Standard when we have positive UOH. Something is very wrong.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #22 - 02/15/08 at 09:11:48

Just a thought...
If these are manufactured items, are you sure when you finish production that you are using actual and not standard (for a work order I believe this is the same as estimated) costs?  There is a setting also in WO defaults to use standard costs in finish production.  I think if this is set to "Y" then it skips over the Use Std Cost question, if "N", you can change "S" to "A" (actual).  

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #23 - 02/15/08 at 09:24:12

Cathy,

I certainly can't rule out the possibility that someone occasionally uses Standard at Finished Production

However, if you look at the the example you will see
WO receipt at 0.9217,
Shipment at 154.1170.

I don't know if there is any way to find out what the Average was at that time, but you can see from the previous transactions that it was under a dollar.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
GasGiant
Administrator

How can I help?

Reply #24 - 02/15/08 at 09:51:44

We sometimes have unit of measure issues where we buy in feet and issue in millimeters. This messes up the average cost, but it shows up as a purchase problem. This one stumps me. It definitely looks like someone used IN-K to change the average cost.

Email WWW GasGiant GasGiant 31012781 swordworlder swordworlder   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #25 - 02/15/08 at 10:57:15

Quote from GasGiant on 02/15/08 at 09:51:44:
It definitely looks like someone used IN-K to change the average cost.

I can assure you that did not happen. Know one here but me even knows what IN-K is.

And there are other items with exactly the same problem.

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
cathyh

I used to be
indecisive; now I'm
not so sure......

Reply #26 - 02/15/08 at 11:43:16

Have you used IN-O to print a report with auditing info, which includes date and time, so you can get an actual sequence of events?  

Cathy Hamilton
Wing Inflatables, Inc.
EVO-ERP2008.1(20 users) w/IS Tech update 5/25/09 (as of 08/21/09)
Windows 2008 Server/client
Pervasive V10.1
Email WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #27 - 02/15/08 at 15:29:46

IN-O looks just like the Trans list in IN-A

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Vman

If it ain't broke,
don't fix it

Reply #28 - 02/18/08 at 15:58:03

David,

I had an issue with an item where the components on a work order were issued at 10 times their normal amount, which of course greatly increased the cost of the item. If found this out by looking at the usage of one of the component items, and seeing a unusually high usage for December 2007.  As the item is only used on the one assembly, this was odd. I then looked at the work order done in December, and discovered the over issues.  We use backflushing here, so I am not sure if it was program burp or not.  
   I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, but I'd thought I'd post anyways.

EVO-ERP 2022.2
Build 4/22/22
Actican Zen V14 SP2 Workgroup
Win7 64-bit and Win10 Pro
WWW   IP Logged
David Waldmann

Live to work, or
work to live?

Reply #29 - 02/19/08 at 08:03:53

VMan,

I appreciate your response, but the problem is not material received into stock at the wrong cost. It appears that sometimes it posts as Standard Cost when it should be using Average.

This MAY be related to the "Enter finished production at Invoice posting" add-on that I have, since there have been and still are problems with that program. Although these SOs were for from-stock material, not made to order with SO-N.

???

David N Waldmann
President
Vermont Hardwoods
Chester, VT

Evo-ERP, 5 user
Pervasive v11.31
Server 2012 / Win10 x64
Crystal Reports v11
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2